Sunday, June 20, 2010

Delinquency

I've been reading, and even writing reviews in my journal but sadly I've been a delinquent book blogger. I've had a post called Delinquency brewing for at least the last four months. Since October (and my last post) I estimate I read at least 70-80 books. So many still stand out. I've been wanting to share my thoughts on Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan, Desire Lines by Christina Baker, the Help by Kathryn Stockert, The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow and Trouble by Kate Christensen. I wanted to write at length about my new found love of Amy Bloom's writing. I read all of her short story collections and the magnificent Away in just a couple of weeks. And my mind was brimming with so many thoughts after reading Hold Love Strong by Matthew Aaron Goldman. I loved the language, I was completely captivated by the story and it helped me to reexamine the pathology of urban poverty.

More recently, I couldn't wait to finish finals and read the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I have never been a big science reader but I found myself so intrigued by the story of Henrietta Lacks and the various ethical issues that surround the controversy. I tore myself away from the book during finals but happily read it as soon as I was done. I also read the latest Emily Giffin which was in many ways upsetting. My best friend who is about to get married was pretty distraught by the picture it painted of marriage and cheating.

I absolutely loved Girl in Translation and hope to post my thoughts about it soon, as well as my thoughts on Every Last One by Anna Quindlen and Stay by Allie Larkin. I hope to be more timely with recent updates especially about books that leave me brimming with thoughts. I am so very happy to be back to reading.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're back! I can't wait to read your reviews...many of the titles you mentioned are ones I have read, too. Come and visit my blog:
    www.booksaremything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete